Can you spare a few hours per month?
The Copeland Bird Observatory has a vacancy for the position of Treasurer.
By volunteering your time and skills, you could make a real difference to the work of the Observatory.
About the Observatory
The Copeland Bird Observatory (CBO) was formed in 1954 by local amateur ornithologists. It is the only bird observatory in Northern Ireland and has been run for over 60 years by dedicated volunteers. The CBO is situated on Old Lighthouse Island off the County Down coast and is a non-profit making organisation.
CBO is an accredited Bird Observatory and a member of The Bird Observatories Council. The main aims of the Observatory are:
- To collect data on migratory and breeding birds
- To manage the island for the benefit of birds
- To develop and manage a conservation education programme.
The Copeland Islands form both an Area of Special Scientific Interest (ASSI) and a Special Protection Area (SPA).
Overview of the role
The treasurer’s role is an important one which is vital to the running of the observatory. In the short-term (next six months), the observatory proposes to move to on-line banking and develop an electronic payment system for membership – both of which the treasurer will manage. This unpaid voluntary position requires an enthusiastic individual with the following skills:
- Experience of book-keeping
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint) or similar package
- Ability to manage an electronic membership database
- Ability and availability to carry out banking duties (e.g. lodging money and on-line banking)
- Ability to prepare and present short reports, e.g. monthly for the Committee and annually at the AGM.
Note: The treasurer would be expected to become a CBO member if not already one.
Who to contact
For informal enquiries about the role please contact:
Wesley Smyth (CBO Secretary), Email: Wesley Smyth or Tel: 07837 449264
Expression of interest should be made to Wesley no later than Wednesday 17th June 2015.
Depending on their ability to fulfil the above skills, candidates may be invited to meet with a sub-group from the committee on Tuesday 23rd or Wednesday 24th June. It should be noted that the Committee will appoint someone as temporary treasurer pending ratification by the membership at the next AGM in March 2016.